Charles G. Wentworth, Esq.
Charles attended law school at the University of Utah where he was a legal-writing teaching assistant and participated in moot court and law review. He then clerked for Chief Justice John Broderick of the New Hampshire Supreme Court before becoming a commercial litigation associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Chicago. Charles then joined The Law Office of Lofgren & Wentworth, P.C. as a shareholder after running a successful solo practice.
Charles focuses his practice on business advice, property and appellate litigation, estate planning, and probate. His clients include large and small companies, individuals, private equity groups, commercial and residential landlords and tenants, condominium associations, and contractors. He is also very active in the Illinois State and DuPage County Bar Associations, where he often lectures and writes about the law. He has served as a member and in the leadership of the following sections: Law Practice Management & Technology; Professional Responsibility; Appellate Law & Practice; Alternative Dispute Resolution; and Civil Law & Practice. And he serves as an officer and director of multiple closely-held companies and non-for-profit organizations, including one engaged in the purchase and leasing of various commercial properties. All of these business and professional activities give him practical business and real estate experience that he shares with his clients.
Charles handles a wide variety of matters:
- Successfully vacated $472,000 federal-court judgment against his client.
- Won trial against client’s former commercial tenant for unpaid rent, and handling multiple other commercial landlord-tenant disputes and evictions.
- Advises small-business clients on estate and succession planning for themselves and their companies.
- Represent condominium association on various matters, including contract disputes and enforcement of condo declaration and bylaws.
- Prosecuted two multi-million dollar commercial mortgage foreclosures, including having a receiver appointed and defending against various mechanics liens.
- Defended nation-wide publishing company against $2.7 million breach of contract and fraudulent transfer claims.
- Advised clients on voting procedures in condominium board election, resulting in them being elected to all open seats on the condo board of directors.
- Pursued multiple mechanics liens by contractors and their assignees in Cook, Kane, Kankakee, and Will Counties, both at trial and on appeal.
- Successfully defended client in litigation related to breach of non-compete agreement brought by client’s former employer.
- Negotiated settlement of dispute related to sale of client’s company.
- Brought replevin, detinue, and breach of equipment lease claims against company for failing to return $20,000 machine when lease ended.
- Wrote motion to reconsider order regarding condominium assessments.
- Filed multiple appellate and amicus briefs in the Illinois Courts of Appeals, Illinois Supreme Court, various federal appellate courts around the country, and the United States Supreme Court.
Read more about Charles on LinkedIn.